Elderly Bronx woman dies while using stairs to 19th floor apartment amid electricity outage

9 month ago

New York City news, New York news.

A Bronx woman had been found dead on stairs as she tried to reach her 19th-floor apartment amid an electricity outage early Friday.

73-year-old Ada Longmore died stairs away, on the 18th floor, from her Co-op apartment after her oxygen tank ran out.

Longmore’s body was found at around 3:10 p.m. Friday, which is seven hours after the power went off at the De Kruif Place building.

The decedent’s daughter said that her mother had been battling lung illness throughout the last year.

To see also:
  • Dying by himself: 86-year-old man found dead next to space heater at Queens apartment
  • “She was a very happy soul, always finding joy in the simple things of life. She was a family-oriented person. She was very resilient and strong and able to keep her family together.”

    In a tweet, Co-op City police said that there were also water and heat outages due to the break of electric pumps and generators: “The damage caused by the transformer fire is extensive, and will take a while to repair.”

    But Longmore’s family said that they hold no grudge against the City’s officials following the outage.

    “There are not a lot of blackouts here, maybe once a year. That was the only way for people to get to their homes. It was the alternate route,” Longmore’s daughter said.