Woman arrested for stabbing her husband during an argument

3 month ago

Alor Setar news, Malaysia news.

On Monday, a British woman was sentenced to 42 months in jail after she pleaded guilty to the accusation of stabbing her husband to death at their Malaysian resort home.

According to Lawyer Sangeet Kaur Deo, prosecutors decreased the murder charge against the woman, who was identified as Samantha Jones, 51, to culpable homicide, after the defense appealed to the attorney-general's office.

“I was scared, and he was so angry,” Kaur quoted Jones as telling the court as she sought a lighter penalty before sentencing. “I miss him terribly. What I did that night was unintended. I tried to stop him, I did not know it would happen like this.”

Kaur added that Jones will also have to pay a 10,000 ringgit fine ($2,368).

“She is very relieved having come to terms with what happened that night and for the court ... to understand what happened that night. She didn’t intend for this to happen,” the lawyer told reporters later at the end of the hearing.

On Oct. 18, 2018, Jones was charged two years ago as police found a blood-stained kitchen knife in her home where John William Jones was found dead. Police escorted the woman who was wearing handcuffs and a surgical mask, into the courthouse in Alor Setar.

Prosecutors said that the 63-year-old man had a six-inch wound in his liver and was drunk. Jones confessed to police that she stabbed her husband while they were in an argument.

The couple's lawyer affirmed that the couple was devoted to each other but the wife didn't bear the physical violence caused by her husband.

“Unfortunately Samantha found herself at the receiving end of abuse. She supported John through various therapies to address certain problems that he had, none of which worked obviously, until that unfortunate night when things took a turn for the worst," Kaur said.

“She has accepted the fact that she needs to serve the sentence. She acknowledged the fact that a life is lost and I think she is looking forward to her own recovery because this was indeed a traumatizing event for her," the lawyer added.