Authorities in Hamilton County said that two men and a woman died Friday inside a metal shed linked to a partially burnt home in the Chattanooga area.
Officers rushed to the scene over reports of an unresponsive person to find the three dead bodies; a fourth victim was rescued, the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Office said.
Initial findings by the medical examiner revealed that the three fatalities may have been caused by monoxide poisoning.
Investigators found no signs of struggle in the victims. An empty propane tank and a heater were discovered at the scene.
The CDC urges residents to install carbon monoxide detectors at their homes stressing the killer gas has no look, taste, or smell.
“If the detector sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911,” the CDC adds.