Hartford student, 13, dies from major fentanyl overdose; police seized 40 baggies of potent opioid at school

6 month ago

Hartford news, Connecticut news.

The 13-year-old Hartford student who collapsed earlier this week in the gymnasium of his school died Saturday evening from a major fentanyl overdose.

Since the Thursday incident at the Sport and Medical Sciences Academy, police have seized 40 bags of fentanyl powder in the gymnasium and classrooms.

To see also:
  • Middle School students hospitalized, one in grave condition, after ingesting fentanyl in class
  • “Our city grieves for this child lost, for his loved ones, his friends, his teachers, and the entire SMSA family,” Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said adding that the victim was exposed to a “shocking quantity of deadly drugs.”

    “We still have much to learn about the circumstances of this tragedy, and about how a child had access to such a shocking quantity of such deadly drugs, and our police department will continue their investigation and seek to hold accountable the adults who ultimately are responsible for this child’s death.”

    The school was placed on lockdown following the incident and is currently being sanitized.