Middle School students hospitalized, one in grave condition, after ingesting fentanyl in class

6 days ago

Hartford news, Connecticut news.

A teen boy is fighting for his life after suffering a fentanyl overdose at the gymnasium of a Hartford middle school Thursday, while at least two others and a teacher were taken to the hospital following the ordeal.

Hartford Public Schools Superintendent Leslie Torres-Rodriguez said at a press briefing that the 13-year-old student “ingested something in the classroom.”

To see also:
  • Queens student, 16, caught with loaded handgun on high school grounds
  • Detectives later determined the boy was exposed to fentanyl, a highly addictive opioid that is 50 times more potent than heroin.

    “This one more lesson that fentanyl is a poison, these drugs are a poison,” Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said following the incident.

    “Please, if you are a parent, have that tough conversation with your child tonight. If anyone offers, suggests, that they experiment with, ingest some substance that they think is a drug, they don’t know what it is, don’t do it, stay a mile away, and for God’s sake, please report it so we can try to protect you child, their friends, everything.”