New Mexico Food and Drug Administration is warning residents of the high risk of fatal poisoning that can result from ingesting hand sanitizer as a substitute for alcohol.
The Poison Control Center announced that seven people have been admitted to the intensive care since late May for drinking hand sanitizer that contained 81 percent of methanol. Three of them passed away, three are in critical condition and one has permanently lost sight.
“An antidote to methanol poisoning is available, but the earlier someone gets treated for methanol poisoning the better the chance of recovery,” Health Secretary Kathy Kunkel said.
Methanol is a toxic form of alcohol often used among homeless communities and can cause blindness, kidney issues, and even death.