The girl who was in intensive care after contracting a brain-eating amoeba while swimming in the Brazos River, Texas, died, her family said.
Lily Mae Avant, 10, who went to the Cook for Kids Health Center in Fort Worth after rushing to her local emergency room, complained for the first time on September 8th.
According to the Facebook page "#LilyStrong", Lily then developed a fever.
The doctors had begun treating her for bacterial and viral meningitis, but after landing at Cook Children, she went to the spinal cord to reveal Naegleria fowleri, also known as a devastating amoeba. for the brain.
The family was hoping that an antimicrobial drug called miltefosine would get rid of the amoeba, but on Monday one of her aunts revealed in an article on Facebook that the girl had died.