Fire erupted at children's room while mothers partied at nightclub

one year ago

Nashville news, Tennessee news.

An 8-month-old girl lost her life while her 23-month-old brother and four other kids were seriously injured when a horrific fire erupted in an apartment while the children's mothers went to a nightclub on July 7.

The tragedy unfolded early Sunday morning at Hickory Lake Apartments on Apache Trail at around 2 a.m. Upon Nashville firefighters' arrival, they found "heavy smoke and flames" that came from one of the apartment. They immediately rescued "one person from a third-floor balcony," before going inside the burning unit and rescued the four other kids, Nashville police said.

The 8-month-old girl who was later identified as Jream Jenkins died at the scene.

The blaze has reportedly started when a candle was burning in her room.