Arkansas toddler, 3, dies in hot car left in driveway as temps reached 100 degrees

2 months ago

Fort Smith news, Arkansas news.

An Arkansas toddler was found dead in a hot car left outside a home Tuesday afternoon as temperatures reached 100 degrees, Fort Smith police said.

A good Samaritan had broken the car window before police arrival after spotting the unresponsive 3-year-old boy inside the vehicle in the 3600 block of Boone Avenue.

The toddler died shortly later at a hospital; a Crisis Intervention Team was sent to the hospital to support the boy’s parents.

To see also:
  • Infant dies in hot car in DC after being left unattended for 2 hours
  • “It is unfathomable for families to continue burying children when occupant detection technology exists and is readily available to install in all new cars today,” Kids and Cars Safety President Janette Fennell said.

    “These precious children do not have to die this preventable way.”

    The boy’s death is the 18th related to hot cars in the US this year. Four of these incidents occurred within the few days since August 9.