Florida man dies after eating Vibrio-infected oyster: ‘He had that one of a billion that was bad’

2 months ago

Fort Lauderdale news, Florida news.

A Florida man died from a rare bacterial infection after eating the “one in a billion” bad oyster at the Rustic Inn Crabhouse in Fort Lauderdale.

Officials linked the man’s death to the Fort Lauderdale restaurant whose manager said that no less than 100 dozen oysters were served on that same day.

“He had that one in a billion that was bad. I feel horrible,” Gary Oreal said. “Oysters are top of the mountain for dangerous foods to eat. I have eaten them my entire life and will continue. But you are putting yourself at risk when you do it.”

The manager said that after the reported Vibriosis case, inspectors with the Florida Department of Health visited his restaurant’s kitchen adding that it was “with flying colors.”

“Over the course of 60 years, we have served a couple billion oysters and we never had anyone get sick like this guy did,” he said.