A Raleigh couple is facing child neglect charges following the death of a 5-year-old girl who had swallowed a suction cup and choked, according to police sources.
The child’s father, Jermaine Rhyne, broke down in tears Tuesday as he stood in front of a judge asking for a bond reduction: “Have mercy on my soul,” he said. He was denied the reduction.
Authorities said that Rhyne and Tiffany Valentine did not seek medical help for the toddler, identified as Jessika, when she burned her hands on a space heather on Jan. 8.
Although her cause of death has not been officially released, investigators said that the couple’s negligence contributed to her death. Both of them have been charged with felony child abuse and are being held on a $100,000 bond.