president Trump said he was not aware of the involvement of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in the killing of Jamal Khashoggi he added the US will remain a “steadfast partner” of Saudi Arabia.
Trump released in a statement Tuesday, that the whole murder incident is unacceptable and that the American intelligence agencies will continue to investigate the case.
Trump still made a point of maintaining the US’ $110 billion arms deal with the Saudi government, which he said means “tremendous economic development” for the US.
however the president sanctioned 17 Saudi individuals last week, including Maher Abdulaziz Mutreb, who Turkish authorities believe led a 15-man ‘kill team’ to Istanbul to murder Khashoggi, Saudi Consul General Mohammed Alotaibi, and Mustafa al-Madani, a middle-aged man who was seen leaving the Saudi consulate after Khashoggi’s death, wearing the deceased journalist’s clothes.
Trump said that he would keep his relationship with the Saudi's government and would just stop getting involved with the crown prince.