Norovirus spreads at a Camp Fire evacuees shelter

26 days ago

As the death toll in California's Camp Fire reached 56 on Wednesday night, there were new troubles for the Camp Fire evacuees. The Norovirus is spreading among 150 people staying in the Neighborhood Church of Chico.

The lab tests confirmed that 15 to 20 evacuees have been infected with the virus. The infection causes severe vomiting and diarrhea, according to a health department official.

Precautions have been taken in order to stop the spread of the Norovirus. Citing one evacuee from the shelter, people are asked to wash their hands, avoid hand shaking and use sanitizers before eating.

Diane Shoen of the American Red Cross said she wouldn't confirm the virus outbreak under the health confidentiality laws.