Stephon Clark, a 22-year-old man, was shot by Sacramento officers in his grandmother's yard on March 18, 2018, after officers responded to a 911 call that described a man in a hoodie breaking the windows of the car and hiding in a yard.
When the police met Clark, according to a video clip, they thought he was in possession of a "toolbar". One of the officers said that Clark had signaled to them, and another officer was heard screaming, "Show me your hands ... firearm, firearm, firearm."
Both officers fired 20 shots, hitting Clark at least seven times. Investigators later determined that Clark was only holding a cell phone.
"This family deserves answers and complete transparency from the police, the city and the Sacramento Police Department on the unjustified use of the excessive and lethal force that killed Stephon Clark and deprived his future of a child with his father, "said Brian Panish, Clark's Children's lawyer, said in a statement.
"When the facts are fully disclosed," he added, "we are certain that a jury will deliver justice that reflects how far the police and city officials have failed in front of Stephon, his family and the locals. of Sacramento. "
In a statement released on Monday, the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office said it had received a "bulky investigation report" on the fatal killing of the Sacramento Police Department on October 25. He received "substantial new investigation reports" and related documents from the prosecutor. Department of Justice investigators announced earlier this month, the statement said.
The lawsuit was filed in the US District Court in the Eastern District of California on behalf of Clark's two sons, parents and grandparents.
It is unclear whether Mercadal and Robinet, the two officers named in the lawsuit, retained the services of lawyers.