Authorities say they have arrested a man who is in custody on immigration and theft charges is believed to be the perpetrator of four Western Nevada homicides.
19-year-old Wilbur Ernesto Martinez-Guzman was arrested Saturday in Carson City related to burglary and possession of stolen property, but authorities say he is expected to face murder charges in Nevada killing spree.
“I feel strongly we have the man responsible for this,” Douglas County Sheriff Dan Coverley said. “You can continue to go about your daily activities. We’ve worked hard to bring some peace to you.”
The press conference was conducted by Washoe County Sheriff Darin Balaam, with members of the families of the four victims, Coverley, Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong, Douglas County District Attorney Mark Jackson, and Washoe County District Attorney Chris Hicks.
Furlong said that Martinez Guzman was placed under 24-hour surveillance after he was determined to be a suspect.
The four killings that have shaken Northern Nevada and put residents on edge over the past two weeks started on January 9 or 10, 2019. When 56-year-old Connie Koontz was found shot to death at her home in the Gardnerville Ranchos. She was found dead by her mother, who also lives in the home and is hard of hearing and disabled.
January 13, 74-year-old Sophia Renken was found dead in her home about a mile away, also shot to death.
January 16, the bodies of 81-year-old Gerald David, a former Reno Rodeo President, and his wife, 80-year-old Sharon David, were found dead in their home on La Guardia Lane in south Reno, near Zolezzi. They also had been shot to death.
Martinez-Guzman is being held at the Carson City Detention Center.